Saturday, May 7, 2011

Quilted Creations

Well it has been a long time since I have posted.  As the school year wraps up and only a few days of finals are left I find myself sitting in a triple that is almost empty.  This past semester one of my roommates spent the semester in Tanzania with the Houghton in Tanzania program.  My other roommate left this morning.  So with neither of them here I find I have a triple to myself which is both a nice thing but also an odd thing.

Since the end of last semester I have been busy creating quilted things.  I find that mainly I have been working on small pieces that do not take too long to make.  I have also been turning photos into quilt pieces.  The following pieces are all 4 inches by 6 inches.  All except the first one are based on photos.  Overall these take anywhere from 2 - 6 hours or more to make depending on how detailed I feel like being as well as how creative.  The hardest part is deciding what colors to use and how to design the photo from fabric.  Once that is done and I have the idea in mind it is only a matter of getting the fabrics in the right place.  All of them have been gifts.

This is a piece I based of an abstract work of my mom's that she has only partially finished.  It was a gift to my best friend who is getting married this summer.

Castle on a Cliff

This is based off a picture from one of my friends who went to London.  I ended up working with a limited amount of grays so it didn't end up quite as I intended.  I find that both my mom and I very rarely use browns or grays so we tend not to have many of either.

The actual picture I based it off of.

Mountain View

This was for a friend who loves the mountains and lives in them.

The actual mountain view.

The Boathouse

This was made for a friend who loves Maine summers and lakes.

The actual boathouse.

The Way out of the Killing Fields

This was for a friend who loves Cambodia and went there.  Since then he has a soft spot for Cambodia and would love to go back on a missions trip.

The actual picture.

The Wintry Woods

This was made for a friend who loves peaceful settings and the woods in winter are that.

Wintry woods in reality.

The View from Stari Most

This is a 16th century Ottoman bridge in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina.  I along with my EMW friends visited this last May.  I made this for a friends who appreciated the outdoors and enjoys spending lots of time outside.

The actual picture of the place I have been.

As you can see I have been very busy and my summer will be quite busy although maybe not in a quilting sense.  I have two weddings to go to this summer, I am working at Hannaford, and I will be at the Plymouth Animal Hospital to observe and gain experience.  I am also going to try and get a trip into Maine to visit my roommate who was in Tanzania.  I hope to do a better job of keeping things up-to-date on here this summer.
TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Marvelous quilts, Kara. I'm proud of you. You're carrying on the tradition of the generations of Trails End Quilters. If you don't recall me talking about them, check out my blog. (http://trailsendquilters.blogspot.com/) I must link to your quilts on it now.

    ReplyDelete